Friends as a collection



  I would like to write about an exhibition in Multimedia Art Museum in Moscow. This exhibition presents private collection of the famous contemporary artist Damien Hirst. It is called “FREEDOM NOT GENIUS” and this can be interpreted differently. For me it seemed to mean that freedom forms a real artist not genius. Here is what an author says about it:

"Genius is easy. Genius means that everybody isn’t an artist. Freedom means that everybody is an artist. I believe in freedom. I don’t believe in genius. I don’t think that artists are special people. I think they’re normal people who have managed to harness somehow what is important for everybody. I don’t think they’re born special..." — Damien Hirst


Colin Lowe. You Will Never Forget Me. 2007. Stuffed cat, hair, wood, cotton thread.

  When I was planning to visit this exhibition I was quite skeptical and ready to see something that my friends call “the quintessence of contemporary art” something that makes you think: “and where is art?”, but Hirst’s collection surprised me deeply.
  I was surprised from the first works that I saw. It felt not like a gallery or museum but as an apartment of somebody. I felt like I was expecting to see a sofa or a kitchen at any second, it was like a journey through the flat and mind of a person that I’ve already knew somehow. Every object with every second was becoming a part of an interior, piece of a puzzle. The Wonderland of Damien Hirst’s mind is made of memories, every work from his collection was occasionally left in his world by one of his friends. Each work tells something about Hirst and at the same time it is a dossier on the author. With every gift a person ever get a piece of a giver comes with it and stays in the life of that person. Then, all presents from others and things that a person gave himself, create an image of the mind. “FREEDOM NOT GENIUS” is a ticket to an amazing journey through one of the most fascinating “interiors” of our time. And it is incredible to visit Damien Hirst’s mind.

by Ekaterina Frolova

   

No comments:

Post a Comment