One Man Show





Belgian artist Wim Delvoye is famous for his provocative 'Neo-Conceptual' works. Some of his art pieces can be seen at his exhibition called One Man Show at Gary Tatintsian gallery. Most of the works that are presented in the gallery are inspired by Gothic and religious themes. Although, this exhibition presents a rather small number of Delvoye's works, their arrangement and organisation contemplates for it. In fact, these vast and spacious halls seem to give more 'air' to such delicate and detailed sculptures. In addition, the light effectively illuminates them, which makes them even more intriguing.


In one of the room there were seven identical bronze sculptures Ring Corpus Inside. All of them on a grey floor of a large room have a striking effect on the viewer. 




Another part of his exhibition consisted of hand carved tyres. Wim is truly a master of changing ordinary and ugly things into beautiful works of art. They are so detailed and delicate that it is very hard to believe that they once were just ordinary car tyres. 



The largest and yet, the most amusing part of the exhibition was a large laser cut Dump Truck made out of stainless steel. This colossal metal truck seems to be very light because of all carefully cut out Gothic ornaments. This Wim Delvoye’s passion for Catholic Gothic themes traces back to his childhood, when his mother used to take him with her to Cathedrals. When looking closely at this art work, at all the details and patterns you mind takes you somewhere far away from this truck… you think of old, dark and cold Cathedrals somewhere in England.Before I've visited this exhibition I had a completely different view on Win Delvoye's work; However, I now think that he is a very talented architect as well as an artist. His work clearly shows his interest in space and construction.I always made sure I would be nothing else but a professional artist."

P.S. Anyone who is interested in his work should visit his website, which I found very interesting and rather surprising:  http://www.wimdelvoye.be/

Sofia Buteeva 

IAD, Level 4



Image sources and courtesy:
http://tatintsian.com/exhibitions/wim-delvoye/exhibitions-view
https://artsy.net/artist/wim-delvoye

















4 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Personally I always admire objects in which rudeness meets delicacy – contrast in its unity is a very strong tool in art. Here common brutal things and fine lacy pattern together create a unique atmosphere, inspire us to take a look at the world from the different angle.

    But I also wonder why such a great artist has such an ugly web-site? In this particular contrast I can't see any harmony yet, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Thank you for writing about this artist, some of his works are breathtaking. Surprisingly, his web-site did not disaffect me, on the contrary it reminded me of some of the first computer games. I think this web-site carries a strong message, not appealing to everybody though...
    There is some funny content like Cloaca Factory with its Coca-Cola-like logo and Mr Proper cut in two)
    When I first looked at Ring Corpus Inside, I thought that it looked a lot like crucifixion. And that appeared to be true! I found those in his Holy Family collection of jewelery, so Ring Corpus is definately a crucifixion.
    Win Delvoye's works are very ironic and yet very delicate. Thank you again for bringing that information to the blog.

    Ekaterina Aleynikova, Lvl 4

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sofia, Thank you for such interesting summary about Wim Delvoye artworks! I have never heard about this amazing sculptures before. His metal constructions look like a mystery fairy tale. I really interested in gothic architecture and my first think, when i saw his sculptures, was about England cathedrals. What is more, these sculptures seems very light, however this weight are very heavy, because of the material he used. When i saw his website, I was very surprised about the design. I am not very happy about his website,because it looks not serious and it is very hard to find some information, because of the design, which is similar computer game. Despite this fact, I would like to learn more about Wim Delvoye after exciting post.


    Daria Slushaeva,Level 4

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post, Sofia! Delvoe's works are really stunnig and impressing. When I visited this exibition I feel like I need observe and examine every tiny detail of every his work. It was like a kind of art hipnosis.
    It would be very useful for every art student to get familiar with Delvoe's sculptures despite of the spesialization. I am sure, this works are interesting for both sculptors and interior designers. And for artist too, of course.

    Evgenia Khashimova

    Level 4

    ReplyDelete