Bathtub in the city center

                     

                                                  photo by Jannes Linders


  In this article I would like to write about some extraordinary building I've been to while my Netherlands trip. It's the State museum of modern art Stedelijk in Amsterdam. 




  The building that museum is located in is a combination and, if fact, collaboration of the 19th century Dutch Neo-Renaissance styled "palace" designed by Adriaan Willem Weissman and contemporary unusual "Bathtub". Originally museum was located in the same 19th century building but in 2003 it was closed at the insistence of the fire department. Again museum returned to this building in 2012 right after an extensive reconstruction by Benthem Crouwel Architects. Their bold and unexpected project met contradictory reviews. For example, Michael Kimmelman, architecture critic for The New York Times, wrote of the museum's addition, "I can't recall seeing a more ridiculous looking building than the new Stedelijk Museum" and The Los Angeles Times called the extension "oversized, antiseptic and mismatched". But nevertheless the building became popular and revealing for the visitors and people even set meetings near the "Bathtub" not Stedelijk. Somehow this bold and probably ridiculous design became successful for this specific purpose and place. 



  When I first came to Stedelijk I haven't heard about it's bathtub concept and for me, as I was walking around the building it didn't literally look like a bathtub. Probably because I didn't expect anything and from the height of an average human building looks like a floating abstract spaceship connected to the old palace more than a tub. Soft shapes and interesting construction details make this contemporary museum's addition impressive and cosmic in some way. The space that surrounds the museum feels impressively spacious, free, friendly and welcoming to the museum. 


  photo by Jannes Linders

                        
  When you come inside the feeling of the spaceship doesn't leave you. The bathtub's "legs" and passages that connect extension to the 19th century building now create a feeling of some enormous living creature that came to connect and interact with the art. 



  Space organized very elaborately and you never feel it until you think about it. Everything that surrounds visitor naturally leads him the right way. As a result you can never feel lost in the museum. Spaces follow each other and the flow of visitors never creates "traffic jams" in passages and near entrances. 




   Even though the new part of the building is absolutely different and alien according to historical part, the design presents very gentle and careful attitude to Adriaan Willem Weissman's work. I did enjoy the museum and organization of the spaces, voids and all elements of Stedelijk. What do you think about this contradictory building?

                                                 


Ekaterina Frolova
Level 5

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ekaterina!
    Actually I feel a bit robbed, because I've almost completed an article on the same subject. Anyway I'd like to share couple of facts and my attitude.

    The facade of the tub is really innovative in terms of materials and technologies that were used. It is stated, that it's the largest composite building in the world.
    The toughest issue of a facade construction was to make it seamless. Because if one uses ordinary materials - it’s a must to make a 1-2 cm gaps between facade panels. Otherwise the thermal expansion of a material will just ruin it. And the goal was achieved by use of innovative para-aramid fiber product - Twaron offered by Dutch-Japan company Teijin. read more. And Holland Composites company made a panels as big as 17x4m for the project that were sealed afterwards.

    Also It's interesting that construction process faced unexpected delaand that led to a lot of criticism and a campaign called "Stedelijk do something".

    Not surprisingly, when I visited the museum at first time - shortly after it's opening - all space underneath the tub was immensely crowded.The building quite impressed me. While I was living very close to it this time - I’ve been enjoyed it even more. I agree with your metaphor that it’s similar to a space ship. And also it’s really funny that it’s a sink! And it’s mandatory for a contemporary art, because if no one likes it - just flush it. This irony really excites me. =)

    A Link to a cool plans, elevations and sections of the tub.

    Anton S. (Level 4)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anton!
      Well I still looking forward to read your article about this building as long as you focused on innovations and materials. I haven't read a lot about technologies and it would be amazing if you still publish your post. It is also great to hear the same story from the other point of view. Thanks for the links!

      Ekaterina F. Level 5

      Delete
  2. Ekaterina, I think it was not neccessary to post full text that's why I've focused on distinct facts and links. I'm so sorry that I've missed an opportunity to buy "Stedelijk Architecture" book, haven't you bought it by chance? Imho we certainly should have it in our school's library. We can join our efforts to make it real.

    Anton S. Level 4

    ps: At my own risk I applied bluish color for the links, so now every one can clearly see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anton, unfortunately I haven't bought it as the bookstore closed early at the day we were there. I think that it is possible, we just need to ask Nicholas or, even better, coordinate ourselves and make a list of books that we need to have and ask our group representatives to hand it to administration.

      Ekaterina F. Level 5

      Delete