Studio Work

This Semester started from awful freeze Outside and cool project Inside the school. This is also the tittle of our final project - InsideOut, that we have been working on from January till May. First we spent two terrible days outside, the sight of the project, walking around Chistie Prudi at -28 degrees below 0 and tried to make some research. It seemed all bad around not only because poor quality of surrounded area but because winter in Russia is not pretty. Because of changeable weather conditions outside there is constant feeling of dirt and unkempt all 5 months of winter in Russia. Yes, 5 months. 
   Daily, people produce so much litter and do not care about the place they live, they built awful pavilions and crammed it with cheap advertisement and cafes with intestinal rods. How to make people refuse of having such lifestyle and prefer healthy way of life? First I was a bit confused of what to do with the research I’ve made. I wanted to bring ancient Russian culture back to this place, and reconstruct Chistie prude as it used to be before and everyone was happy, but then I got that this does not solve any existent problem. 
  As this year is British-Russian relationship, how can we redesign the space of Chistie Prudi and solve permanent problems and bring useful and relevant design for temporary events that will be held this year and «kill»  two birds at once? 
   I tried to remember what important events happened in Russia this year, and as Russia was a host of Olympic games and the sport spirit greatly connected people and Russians a long time ago were not so united, thus it is a great message to people to make them interested. Now it’s time to meet British Original kinds of Sport and let people get introduced into British Sports and have fun out of going for sport. As there is a pond, it is also great opportunity to bring water sports to this place.
   During the project I had ups and downs, at one moment I saw exactly how my project can look like but did not know where to start my design and it stopped me to do at least something. I was very afraid of doing the design on Chistoprudniy Boulevard because nobody considered this area, but considered only the sight around Metro. Thus I could not ask for someones help or consultation with dimensions or look what solutions they do around this area, thus I was a bit renounced from everyone. For another hand that was good for me, because I had responsibility to prove in my project that the decision of designing on a boulevard was right. While designing the pavilion, I had a stuck moment and jammed with diagrammes for two weeks and at one day inspiration came to me and I exectly saw a necessary pavilion and came up with the first design of the pavilion in 1 day! 
Within the group in the studio, everyone discussed between each other their projects but I could not because my sight area was different. But finally I am glad of what I chose and how the project turned out in the end. I think despite of some questions that I am still solving problems in my project it is one of my best design for today. 
  Also as part of C&CS we studied Serpentine Pavilions, great project from Serpentine Gallery and it was incredibly interesting for me to consider temporary design solutions, because pavilions have been building for certain events and it is a field that I wish to work in.  Furthermore I chose my tittle of essay connected with Serpentine Pavilions and consider national culture that architects bring to their constructions each year. 






 



By Annet Akopyan
IAD, Level 5
BHSAD

No comments:

Post a Comment