Exhibit- Sensing Spaces: Architecture Reimagined (Royal Academy of Art; London, UK), March 2014

Although a visual art form, the principal trait that distinguishes architecture from any other art, and even design- it has to work.  It has to stand.  It has to function.  It can’t merely be a trinket.  We have to be able to use it.  Arguably, that is both architecture’s greatest strength, because it gives us the medium through which we can directly, first-handedly influence our audience, and its greatest weakness, because physical reality limits our ability to express ideas to the extent we might aim for.  That is why such exhibits as “Sensing Spaces: Architecture Reimagined” in the Royal Academy in London this spring (2014) are incredibly important to our discipline.  Bringing to the attention of our biggest client- the general public, the issues and challenges that we, as architects face in our work, should be an important part of our cultural arena.  If a widely understood common language is ever to be re-established between the architect and the public -- such interactive dialogues should occur more often.  

Here are links to the exhibit's description and images.  
http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/exhibition/4
http://www.sensingspaces.org.uk/introduction/

The exhibit took place in the Royal Academy of Arts at Burlington House in London.  The architectural installations and architectural installations were designed by 7 world-famous architects: Grafton Architects, Diebedo Francis Kere, Kengo Kuma, Li Xiaodong, Pezo vo Ellrichshausen, Alvaro Siza, and Edouardo Souto de Moura.  As an architect it was very difficult for me to choose a favourite one, because they are all different, each one shows the architects interests with this project and each has its strengths and weaknesses.  But more importantly, each installation raises and brings to our attention different questions related to architecture. Why is it built this way? Why is it so tall? Why is it round? 

As I wrote in my previous post- this semester I struggled to find motivation to keep doing what I’ve been doing for four years.  So when I stumbled upon the press-release for “Sensing Spaces” I knew immediately that I had to visit that exhibit.  And my intuition proved me right.  It was a stunning experience.  First of all it was fascinating to walk through the exhibit and understand and see the curator’s intent for the audience, given the fact that we’d just done our own exhibit designs last semester.  It felt good to acknowledge “the professional eye”, so to speak.  This also allowed to see through the “sales pitch” of the exhibit and observe the rougher details of performance, construction, detailing. Plus I got to see and touch the work of some of my favourite architects, which was really special to me.

It was an amazing experience and I'm really glad I went.  It was reassuring to see professional architects dwell in the same mediums that we as students do- sculptures, installations.  I only wish that such exhibits would happen in Russia and we wouldn't have to buy plane tickets to see them.  

Sasha Klose

No comments:

Post a Comment