Unhappy introduction


“Pit Mondrian is a great painter who should not be introduced…” – this is the phrase I might use to start any other article about this famous artist. But after the visit of exhibition “Pit Mondrian the way to abstraction” in the modern building of Tretyakov gallery you would not hear this phrase from me anymore.

Speaking about my personal opinion about this exhibition we should pay attention to my previous familiarity with Mondrian’s works. Before I went to the exhibition I did already have a mature attitude about it from some books, museum collections and one great exhibition “Pit Mondrian & De Stijl” in Centre Georges Pompidou. So for me this exhibition was simply a supplement to my previous knowledge and author’s perception. 
I guess most visitor’s impression from the exhibition should be different from mine because this might be their first fundamental acquaintance with Mondrian that formed attitude about him. Preparing the exhibition curators could have known about it. Therefore in my opinion they simply should show Mondrian’s most famous masterpieces that the auditory usually admires (placard of the exhibition encourages people with such masterpiece). But they decided not to do it, instead of presenting best Mondrian’s works of neo-plasticism period (there were only 4 works of this period!) they exhibited us only the way to this works. So instead of Mondrian-genius we have seen ordinary painter who could not detect his own artistic position and rushed about different popular styles.
Of course, for people who did know what kind of research they should do on this exhibition it might have been useful. Experienced visitors could become interested in canvas mounting (different frames and author’s signs), transformation from natural forms to abstract,  or in the question’s moot about Mondrian’s form that were divided into geometries or geometries integrated in the form as another layer and in other various nuances. However less people could really mark such shades, because it is possible to understand them only having any knowledge about actual essence of Mondrian’s work. 

I can advise this exhibition to people who are familiar with Mondrian’s work or for people who will surly make themselves familiar with his works done after 1916 before or after the exhibition. For other people I guess this exhibition will stick to theirs memory only with third-rate works of well-known Hollander, which exhibition they probably would not visit again.   

Sergey Nadtochiy
http://sergkonserg.blogspot.ru/

photo by Itar-Tass Mikhail Metzel

2 comments:

  1. It is so interesting how different opinions about one exhibition can be. I was superficially familiar with works of Pit Mondrian when I came to the exhibition. And I really expected to see his most famous works of neo-plasticism period, some explanations to them, some biography and so on.
    Suddenly I saw absolutely different works. I would never call Mondrian "an ordinar painter'' as in terms of his realistic works, especially landscapes, he is definitely genius.
    I found this approach of setting his exhibition much more unexpectable and interesting than it coul be. As we managed to see ''Different Mondrian". I found lots of inspiration in his early works and would never call them "third-rate".
    I guess it is because my familiarity with oil painting is more expanded than knowlege about Pit Mondrian's works and I understand and feel it better. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the exhibition a lot.

    Valeriya Nikonova.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reflection of the full history is always more valuable, than attractive idealized images. As for me, much more interesting to see the artist's way to the ideality, than the destination point, as the concentration of his best works.
    I agree with Valeriya, that it was unexpected and informative exhibition.
    Thanks for catchy post. It was curious to see another point of view.

    ReplyDelete